We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: October 21, 2015
Dental Issues Every Pediatric Dentist Sees
Your teeth are necessary for biting and chewing food, but teeth aren’t just for eating – they’re an essential component of overall health. Learn more about your teeth by reading the facts listed below.
From Milk Teeth to Wisdom Teeth
Baby teeth start to form after birth, but they may not come in until a child is between six and 12 months old. Most people develop a full set of baby teeth by three years of age. When they are five or six years old, these teeth loosen and fall out to accommodate newly developing adult teeth. At age 14, most people have a full set of 32 adult teeth. The final teeth to arrive are called wisdom teeth. These usually erupt between 17 and 21 years of age.
The Four Types of Teeth
You have four different kinds of teeth in your mouth.
- Your incisors are the four teeth in the front of your mouth on the top and bottom jaw. You use them to bite and cut food.
- Canine teeth are sharp, pointed teeth located on each side of your incisors. These four teeth help you tear solid food.
- Your eight bicuspid teeth, or premolars, are located beside your canine teeth. These teeth are larger and wider and are used for grinding and crushing food.
- Your eight molars, or back teeth, are located at the top and bottom on each side of your jaw. They are your strongest teeth. Molars mash food until it is safe to be swallowed.
Components of Teeth
- The crown is the visible part of each tooth. Crowns are protected by a layer of enamel, the hardest material in your body.
- Under the enamel is dentin, which makes up most of your tooth.
- Beneath dentin lies the tooth’s pulp. This inner core provides the tooth’s blood supply and contains nerve tissues.
- The tooth root is hidden beneath gum tissue. Cementum covers the tooth, and periodontal fibers connect it to your jawbone.
Take Care of Your Teeth
Understanding your teeth is important, but good dental care is essential for keeping them healthy and intact. An affordable dentist can help you enjoy decades of healthy, radiant smiles. If you haven’t had an exam or professional cleaning lately, make an appointment today.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Indiana, call Wadas Dental today or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Indiana. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental.