Do You the Know the Risk of Diabetes and Periodontal Disease?
If you’re diabetic, you need to be aware that there is a very strong relationship between diabetes and periodontal disease. Discover what you need to know to protect your teeth and your health.
The Real Risk of Diabetes and Oral Health Problems
Diabetes and teeth are a dangerous combination. See, people with diabetes have a much higher risk of developing the most serious type of gum disease called periodontal disease. This dangerous form of gum disease damages your gums and the bones of your teeth, which leads to dental pain and problems. And if your diabetes isn’t under control, you have a much greater chance of developing dental issues, such as:
- Swollen, bleeding gums
- Dry mouth, which occurs you have very little saliva
- A fungal infection called thrush
- Loss of teeth
- Bone loss
Curb Complications with Diabetes and Teeth
Now that you realize the relationship between diabetes and periodontal disease, you need stay on top of your dental and overall health. Luckily, there are many things you can do to protect yourself from problems. Follow these expert tips to keep yourself healthy:
- Keep your blood glucose level under control.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Visit your dentist at least twice a year. You may need to go more often if you’ve had a history of diabetes and oral health issues.
- Tell your dentist if you experience any oral problems.
- Stop smoking.
- Monitor your mouth for any dental issues and call your dentist immediately if you have any concerns about your diabetes and teeth.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Indiana, call Wadas Dental today at (866) 881-7554 or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Indiana. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental.