We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: June 14, 2015
Get Over the Grind of Bruxism
People who frequently grind or clench their teeth have a condition called bruxism. It can happen when you’re upset or stressed, and even while you’re sleeping. If the teeth grinding is severe, it can lead to many health problems like dental damage, jaw disorders, headaches, and more. That’s why it’s vital to know the symptoms and treatment to get the teeth grinding under control.
Grounds For Grinding
Bruxism is a mystery and its causes remain unclear. But doctors say that these psychological and physical traits are the causes of most teeth grinding:
- Emotions including anxiety, anger, frustration and stress
- A competitive, aggressive, or hyperactive personality
- A psychological coping mechanism or a habit when focusing
- Sleep problems, such as sleep apnea
- Abnormal alignment of upper and lower teeth
- Stomach acid reflux
- Complication resulting from a medical disorder like Parkinson’s disease or Huntington’s disease
- The response to an earache or teething pain in children
Bruxism is simple to see and very painful to feel. If you or a family member shows signs of a problem, then it’s time to get treatment for this teeth grinding and you should make an appointment at one of the dental clinics in Indiana. Its symptoms include:
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Worn tooth enamel that exposes the tooth’s inner layers
- Sensitive teeth
- Flattened, fractured, loose, or chipped teeth
- Tight, tense jaw muscles
- Soreness in the face or jaw
- Gnaw marks on the inside of your cheek
- Indentations on the tongue
- Pain in the ear that is similar to an earache
- Dull headache, starting in the temples
While it’s wise to get an expert opinion from one of the dental clinics in Indiana, treatment isn’t always required. Many adults have a mild case that doesn’t call for treatment, while numerous kids just outgrow teeth grinding. But if the bruxism is severe, these are the various approaches and therapies for treatment:
- Dental correction can put teeth back in proper alignment to reduce teeth grinding.
- Mouth guards and splints can separate teeth to prevent dental damage.
- Stress management techniques can help you cope with tension to relieve stress-related bruxism.
- Behavior therapy can help change the behaviors causing the bruxism.
- Medication like muscle relaxants and Botox injections can relax the muscles to reduce the tension that leads to teeth grinding.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Indiana, call
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Indiana, call Wadas Dental today or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Indiana. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental.