We are open - safety is our top priority!
Posted on: March 19, 2014
Stop Bad Breath
Do you wonder why people have an overwhelming respect for your personal space? Is bad breath keeping you from a stellar social life? You’re not alone. According to the American Dental Hygienists’ Association, more than 40 million Americans suffer from bad breath, or, in medical terms, halitosis. Bad breath can be embarrassing and impair your social life, but the good news is that you don’t have to live with it. There are treatments for bad breath. Your dentist can help you identify the root cause of the condition and offer solutions.
Use this dental care guide to begin correcting bad breath. Seek help from an affordable dentist in Indiana if you can’t correct the condition on your own.
- Increase frequency of brushing and flossing. If you have concerns about bad breath, consider brushing after each meal, rather than just twice a day. Plaque and tartar build-up are one of the primary causes of bad breath. This build up of sticky bacteria can lead to bad odors in the mouth.
- Brush or scrape your tongue. The tongue can harbor bad-smelling bacteria. Getting rid of the bacteria is easy with diligent brushing or scraping your tongue every time you brush your teeth.
- Take care of your gums. Just like your teeth, your gums also need dental care. If bacteria gather in pockets in the gums or between the gums and teeth, bad breath can result. See your family dentistry practitioner if you suspect that you have gum disease.
- Skip foods that lead to bad breath. Brushing your teeth can’t get rid of odors from foods like onions and garlic. Although these foods are good for your health, the pungent odors will make their way into your bloodstream and travel throughout your body, coming out through your pores and breath. If you want to prevent these odors, it is best to avoid these foods altogether, or at least 24 to 48 hours before social events.
- Stop smoking. Bad breath is a guaranteed side effect of smoking. Smoking also damages gum tissue, stains teeth, and increases your risk of oral cancer.
- Get treatment for dry mouth. Lack of saliva promotes bad breath. If your mouth is dry, make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day. If your mouth is still unusually dry, talk to your family dentistry experts. Dry mouth is a side effect of certain medications, so you may also want to talk to your doctor.
- Choose sugarless gum over mints. Sugary hard candies, like peppermints and restaurant mints, promote the bacterial growth in your mouth and actually contribute to bad breath. Chew sugarless gum instead, which will promote the production of saliva and contains xylitol, both of which can reduce bacteria in the mouth that cause bad breath.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Indiana, call Wadas Dental today or make an appointment.
Wadas Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Indiana. Our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Wadas Dental, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Wadas Dental.